Archive for June, 2010

Almost there.

Monday, June 28th, 2010

Just put the first coat of lacquer on the end table – waiting for it to dry before assembling the table for the follow-on coats.  It’s looking nice…

Tables – and not the HTML kind!

Saturday, June 26th, 2010

So I finally got around to putting the second coat of stain on the end table today, and I’ve now got a couple images of the table being finished.  We’ll start with the table as it was unboxed, before I did anything:

Unfinished, unassembled table

Completely unfinished, not even primed – just finish-sanded and delivered from the store.  The first task was to give the entire thing a bath – wipe it down with a wet sponge (not damp, wet) and let the water soak in to the wood.  That raised the grain so I could do another finish sanding, which will help reduce the need for sanding after each coat of stain and lacquer.

My first task was to put some stain primer on.  It darkened the wood a little, but only as a side effect, and not really noticeably:

I stood the pieces up so there would be less area touching another surface – trying to help the drying process.  Like I said, slightly darker, but more of a “wet wood” darker than a “stained wood” darker.  So then, I put the first coat of stain on:

At this point, I did a very little bit of sanding – mostly on the surfaces that would face out and up (table top, outside of sides).  There really wasn’t much sanding needed, thanks to the water bath as the first step.  After letting it dry for 4-6 hours (well, more like a week since I got bogged down in other things, but 4-6 hours minimum), I put on the second coat of stain.

NOW it’s got the rich wood tone I wanted – pretty much exactly what was in my head for the ideal tone.  These pictures are about 10 minutes after the excess stain was wiped off, so it’s still quite wet to the touch and will need to dry for at least 24 hours before the first coat of lacquer goes on.  The first two coats will be very light and sone unassembled, then I’ll put it together and start putting on thicker coats until the surface veneer is the smoothness I want.

I’ll post more pictures as I make more progress – which will probably not be until the middle of this coming week or next weekend and the earliest.

We interrupt this project…

Tuesday, June 15th, 2010

For another project.  One of my old water pipes has decided to break – evidently in several places.  Wonderful.  So I have to figure out where it goes and where it comes from, then figure out just how to fix the fardling thing.  The fix should be semi-painless – and at least it appears to be a return and not a supply as there isn’t an active leak, just a break.

In the Beginning…

Saturday, June 12th, 2010

I bought this townhome back in 2005, and until now I haven’t really done much with it other than adding network wiring.  A lot of that wiring has to be redone, and there are many other improvements I want to make as well, so I’m going to try to document everything here.  The first project I’m going to tackle is actually not part of the actual townhome, but is finishing some unfinished furniture I recently bought.  I’ve got two end tables, a coffee table, a kitchen table, and two chairs to stain and lacquer.  One end table is mostly done, and I really like how it turned out, so as I start the second one I’ll start a photo-documentary of the process.  First step is to actually unpack the camera and the table (unassembled) and set things out in the work area in the kitchen.  That’ll be later today – after I’ve had some lunch.  See you on the flip side!